I’m currently a researcher and lecturer at Utrecht University. Previously, I worked as a postdoctoral researcher as part of Rick Nouwen‘s ERC-funded project on Restriction and Obviation in Scalar Expressions. Before moving to Utrecht, I was a co-investigator in Doris Penka‘s DFG-funded project Decomposition of Comparative and Superlative Quantificational NPs at the Syntax/Semantics Interface at the University of Konstanz. I received my Ph.D. in linguistics at the University of Chicago in 2012.
My training is in syntax, morphology, semantics, and pragmatics, and I investigate how form, structure, and meaning in the sentential and conversational context interact in instances of vagueness and (im)precision, namely in gradable adjectives, degree modifiers, and quantity expressions.
- McNabb, Yaron (forthcoming). “Minimum and maximum readings in degree questions with modals,” Experimental investigations in quantification and eventualities: Acta Linguistica.
- Nouwen, Rick, Stavroula Alexandropoulou and Yaron McNabb (forthcoming). “Experimental work on the Semantics and Pragmatics of Numeral Modifiers,” in Cummins, Chris & Napoleon Katsos (eds.), Oxford Handbook of Experimental Semantics and Pragmatics. Oxford University Press.
- McNabb, Yaron, Stavroula Alexandropoulou, Sophia Bimpikou, Dominique Blok, and Rick Nouwen (2016). “The likelihood of upper-bound construals among numeral modifiers,” In Proceedings from Sinn und Bedeutung 20.
- Alexandropoulou, Stavroula, Jakub Dotlačil, Yaron McNabb, and Rick Nouwen (2015). “Pragmatic inferences with numeral modifiers: Novel experimental data,” in D’Antonio, Sarah and Mia Wiegand (eds.), Proceedings from Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 25.
- McNabb, Yaron (2015). “Differences and similarities between scalar inferences and scalar modifiers: the case of quantifiers,” in D’Antonio, Sarah and Mia Wiegand (eds.), Proceedings from Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 25.
- McNabb, Yaron and Doris Penka (under revision). An experimental investigation of ignorance inferences and authoritative interpretations of superlative modifiers.
- McNabb, Yaron and Doris Penka (2014). The interpretation of superlative modifiers and deontic modals: An experimental investigation, In U. Etxeberria, A. Fălăuș, A. Irurtzun and B. Leferman (eds.), Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 18.
Utrecht Institute for Linguistics OTS, Universiteit Utrecht
y dot mcnabb at uu dot nl